New GM Renaissance Center Policy
During our final planning phase for Youmacon 2014, it was brought to our attention that the Marriott had been notified by GM Renaissance Center management that face coverings and props which resembled weapons would not be permitted in the renaissance center, with the exception of the Marriott hotel and the official Youmacon event space. The only official statement we’ve received – via second party – is below:
“The building code of conduct is no facial mask covering the entire face and no simulated weapons that can be construed as real by an employee or tenant. These guidelines are for all GM and public areas of the facility and does not have jurisdiction in the hotel domain”.
Like many of you, we had questions and asked for clarification several times. Unfortunately we have not received any clarification on these new policies, nor any official communication from the GM Renaissance Center management - outside of a post on twitter a few days ago. We can only assume what the scope of this policy is.
Please keep in mind, that this is NOT the policy of Youmacon, The Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center, our additional contracted hotels in the downtown area, the City of Detroit or Cobo Center. As many of you know, Youmacon already has strict guidelines on what is and is not acceptable for cosplay accessories, such as no “live steel” as an example.
As stated above, props that closely resemble real weapons and full facial masks will not be permitted in specific areas of the renaissance center. Non-Marriott areas of the Renaissance Center would include the front lobby, the winter garden, and the food court. This is a policy NOT enforced by Youmacon, The Marriott, or Cobo.
Areas NOT affected by the GM Renaissance Center policy and which welcome costumes and props are:
- The Detroit Marriott hotel at the Renaissance Center (this includes the entirety of the third through fifth floors of the hotel, as well as all guest hotel rooms)
- Cobo Center
- The Riverwalk, Hart Plaza, and the other public areas of Downtown Detroit
It should be noted that the Motor Lobby (the 1st floor lobby directly underneath the main Marriott lobby) is also part of the hotel, with an entrance to the building and walkways leading directly to Cobo Center. Attendees who wish to wear full masks and / or carry props which resemble weapons between the Detroit Marriott and Cobo Center are encouraged to use this entrance. The Motor Lobby entrance is located across from the Miller parking garage on Renaissance Drive.
For a decade we’ve worked closely with our venues, contractors, unions, sponsors, cities, and various businesses around our events to ensure a fun and safe weekend for everyone involved. We are disappointed that the management of the GM Renaissance Center has chosen to enforce this policy, which impacts many of the 15,000+ international, out of state, and local visitors Youmacon brings to the city of Detroit – without having a dialogue with us to express and address any concerns they may have regarding our event.
Regardless of your thoughts on this issue or how the Renaissance Center chooses to handle it, we ask you to be polite and considerate at all times to all Renaissance Center and General Motors staff.
If we receive any official clarification on this policy we will be sure to let you know, but for the time being we can only direct you to the management of the GM Renaissance Center for further information.
Westin Book Cadillac Hotel
Our newest overflow hotel - the Westin Book Cadillac Detroit - will be locking the Youmacon room block Friday at 3pm. This is your last chance to book your stay at The Westin for this year's Youmacon at the special Youmacon rates. If you don't have your room yet, you should hurry while there is still time.
Panel submissions are now closed
Submissions for attendee panels are now full, and our schedule will be finalized shortly. Stay tuned for Updates.
A few updates
As online registration for Youmacon 2014 comes to a close, we have a few important updates for you. Online registration is still open until Monday September 15th, so there's still time to purchase a badge online.
- For the past few years, we've set a soft cap on the amount of platinum badges available to ensure a healthy balance of platinum attendees to normal attendees. This was to ensure that both badge types had an amazing time at the convention - platinum attendees could receive the value of skipping certain lines, while normal attendees were not inconvenienced by the number of platinum attendees 'taking the good spots' for popular panels, or adding a significant wait time for normal attendees. Until last night, we have never hit our ratio limit of platinum badges, but as Youmacon X is a special 10th year anniversary with amazing guests, we've hit the limit. Upon reviewing the current amount of 3-day passes vs platinum passes sold, we've added additional (but a limited amount) of platinum passes.
- As online registration closes in the next few days, an email will be sent out to all pre-registered attendees with parental consent forms, panel registration information, and more. This information will also be available on the website.
- Overflow hotels are now available for Youmacon 2014. You can reserve a room online for The Westin Book Cadillac Detroit, The Holiday Inn Express & Suites Detroit Downtown, or Greektown Casnio Hotel. If you call the hotels directly, please mention Youmacon 2014 for the special Youmacon rates. (Please note that guests staying at Greektown under the age of 21 will not be allowed on the Casino floor - which includes cutting through the casnio to reach the hotel. We recommend attendees under the age of 21 to stay at either of the other three hotels.)
- We have a record number of special guests booked for Youmacon 2014! Please stay tuned for updates.
- There are currently no plans for a ball pit at Youmacon. The Midwest Media Expo however . . .
Youmacon 2014 is Go!
Youmacon is not only Detroit's first and only Anime Convention, it's also one of the fastest growing fan conventions in the country! Last year over 14,000 individuals joined us in downtown Detroit to enjoy our 24 hour programming, great industry guests, cosplay contests, and our epic video game room.
After a brief hiatus on updates while we ran our new sister event, the Midwest Media Expo, the Youmacon crew is back in action, ready to bring you our best event yet as we celebrate our tenth year! Youmacon X will be held at the newly renovated Cobo Center, as well as the Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center.
Check out our latest Special Guests for Youmacon, visit our Registration Page to purchase your badge at a discounted rate, or stop by our location page to book your hotel room. You can also join our community on our forums, or on social media.