Welcome to the Youmacon 2020 Volunteer Page! Volunteering is a fun and exciting way to help out your favorite convention while earning a refund of your badge cost (up to $70)!
Requirements for Volunteering:
- You must be at least 18 years old as of the first day of the convention.
- You must be a registered paid attendee of the convention.
- You must be able to communicate in English.
Expectations of Volunteers:
– All volunteers are expected to:
- Follow all rules set forth by Youmacon, the Volunteering Department, and convention staff
- Maintain a friendly, professional attitude both while on duty and off.
- Check-in at Volunteer Operations 5min before their shift starts and after their shift ends.
- Report for all scheduled shifts
– All volunteers should:
- Keep a running tally of their own hours and check that Vol. Ops has them recorded correctly.
- Be proactive when trying to get more hours. Come to Vol. Ops often and check if anything has become available.
- Immediately report problems to Volunteering or Security Staff.
– Volunteers are not allowed to:
- Confiscate or threaten to confiscate anyone’s badge.
- Remove or threaten to remove attendees off the elevators.
- Physically move attendees in any panel, room, or line.
- Volunteer: This tier is for the attendees who want to choose their own schedule and have more freedom during the convention. This is the “classic” version of volunteering at Youmacon. Please see the volunteering faq for more details.
- Intern: This tier is for attendees who are aiming be on crew. This program allows volunteers to intern with one or more departments during the convention. Interns will assist crew/staff members in the operation of their assigned department. Interns will be given scheduled shifts as defined by the department they are placed in but not to exceed a total of 16 hrs during the course of the convention (without the permission of the intern). Please see the intern post for more details.
Main Job Types for Volunteers:
- Badgers: Volunteers responsible for checking badges for panels, events, video rooms, and so on.
- Gophers: Volunteers assigned to a certain department to help with whatever is necessary.
- Line Control: Volunteers responsible for line control and maintaining order.
- Load-In: Assisting in helping unload equipment for event setup (Wednesday October 30th and Thursday October 31st)
- Load-Out: Assisting in packing, disassembly and loading post-event. (Sunday November 3rd)
- Refunds: Volunteers who have completed 16 hours of work or more will receive a refund of the purchase price of their convention badge. Refunds will equal the amount the volunteer paid at the time of registration.
- Exception: Volunteers who hold platinum badges will only receive a partial refund equal to the cost of a three day badge at the door.
- Volunteers must turn in all their hours by noon on Sunday for tallying. A volunteer may continue to work after this point to complete their 16 hours but must inform a volunteering ops staff member of their intent to do so. Neglect to inform staff may result in up to a three week delay in refund.
- Refunds are handed out on Sunday afternoon in the Volunteering Ops room. An exact time can not be given but will take place before closing ceremonies.
- Alcohol Consumption: Volunteers are not allowed to consume alcohol while on duty. As a volunteer you are representing Youmacon and we will not tolerate drunkenness!
- Drinking on duty is grounds for immediate dismissal.
- Any volunteer that shows up for a shift inebriated will not be allow to work and will have disciplinary action taken against them.
- Off duty volunteers, who are 21 year or older, are allowed to drink in their own room or in the hotel bar.
- Missing shifts: Volunteers are expected to report for all scheduled shifts.
- If a volunteer is unable to show up for a scheduled shift, they must inform Vol. Ops before the shift starts.
- Staff members will be checking on volunteers during their shifts. If you are not found at your post it will be noted in your file and you will be given a warning.
- After two warnings we will confiscate your volunteering badge and, if deemed necessary, your convention badge. You will not be allowed to volunteer again this year.
- If your actions necessitate more serious action, we also reserve the right to expel you from the convention.
- Moving posts: only Volunteering Department staff members should move you from any of your assigned posts. If a staff member from a different department attempts to remove you from your post please inform Vol. Ops immediately.
- Cosplaying: Volunteers are allowed to cosplay as long as the cosplay does not interfere with the volunteer’s ability to work. Volunteers are encouraged to wear comfortable cosplays that do not inhibit movement and to leave oversized props in there rooms while working. Interns will need to check with their Department Head regarding cosplay.
- Incentive Program: All volunteers and Interns are automatically enrolled in our incentive program. The top three volunteers with the most hours worked will receive prizes. The cut off point is Sunday at noon. Any hours worked after the cut off point will not count for the purposes of the incentive program. Please see Volunteering Ops for more details.
- Accommodations for Volunteers: Volunteers are responsible for their own accommodations during the convention. Youmacon will not provide rooms, food, or beverages to volunteers. Please make plans accordingly.
- Accommodations for Interns: Interns will be provided space in a room for the duration of the convention. Room location may vary by assigned department. Room placements will be finalized before the convention. Any Intern who declines the offer of a room will not be able to get one at the convention. Food and beverages will not be provided.
Break Down of Refund:
– Preregistered January – April your refund is $60.00
– Preregistered May – September your refund is $65.00
– Registered at the convention your refund is $70.00
– Platinum badge your refund is $70.00